A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at any time after 26.01.1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her children and grand children, is eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such persons are also eligible for OCI. However, if the applicant had ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI.
Application Form and Procedure:Apply online from the website: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp
The following documents must be enclosed with each application:
1. Proof of present citizenship. In case application is filled in India, a copy of valid visa/Residential permit for a minimum valid period of three months should also be enclosed.
2. Evidence of self or parents or grand parents,
(a) Being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution; or
(b) Belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15 th August, 1947; or
(c) Being citizen of India on or after 26th January, 1950
These could be:
(i) Copy of the Indian passport :
(ii) Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Competent authority ;or
(iii) Any other proof substantiating the request. Usually applicants are able to submit a certificate of residence or place of birth of self/parents/grandparents from First Class Magistrate/District Magistrate (DM) of the concerned place.
3. Evidence of relationship as parent/grandparent, if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for grant of OCI.
4. Fees: - Application fee by way of cash US $ 275+3 for each applicant to be paid at the Embassy at the time of submission of application. Fees for PIO card holders is US $ 25+3. In case of minor PIO card holder a fee of US $145 to be paid. The time for submission is on all working day from 10 am to 11.30 am.
5. PIO card holder should submit a copy of his/her PIO card.
The application form, completed in all respects, along with enclosures should be submitted to the Indian Embassy, Ankara.
Procedure for Granting Registration:
After preliminary scrutiny, if there is no adverse information available against the applicant, the Indian Mission/Post shall register a person as an OCI within 30 days of application after verification of the antecedents of the applicant by security agencies within 20 days from the date of acknowledgement. If during the verification, any adverse information comes to the knowledge of the MHA, the registration as an OCI already granted by the Indian Mission/Post shall be cancelled by an order under section 7 D of the Citizenship Act, 1955.
Collection of OCI documents :
On preparation of OCI document, applicant is required to present in person or he/she can send a duly authorized person, along with his/her foreign passport & PIO card (if any) for collection of the OCI documents from the same office where he/she applied. No passport and OCI documents will be received/sent by Dak/Post or Mail.